Thursday 19 July 2018

CONFESSIONS OF AN UNFIT PERSON: 5 THINGS I'VE LEARNED BY DOING THE SAME EXERCISE EVERY MORNING


Loryn Brantz knows what's up.

Before anyone comes at me because that's not how one is meant to exercise, I just want to clarify that I haven't ever truly pursued any proper exercise in my life (except for the bare minimum at school, a few yoga classes and a semi-decent run of No Lights No Lycra last year, which barely counts. Yoga with Adriene didn't work out either, as much as I liked her vibes - see post from 2013 lolz). Physical activity and I have always had a hard time becoming friends - he really exhausts me and I'm really good at ignoring him. However I'm highly aware that without it, I'm very likely to have a challenging time when I get a bit older; I look at my mum and for as long as I've been able to process her complaints, she's been constantly feeling unwell and has pains and aches that I don't think anyone only half-way through their expected lifespan should be having (however she did start exercising several years ago, so good on ya mum).

After multiple occasions of trying and failing to pull through, I've now set myself one single goal with the lowest bar possible: to exercise every single day, doing the shortest, simplest routine I've come across. I know myself well enough now to understand that no further intentions or goals will be able to motivate me in the initial stage of (hopefully) creating this new life-long habit of daily movement: screw the beach body, the ability to walk on my hands or any type of peer pressure. I'm happy to report that for the past month, I have not missed a single day. I still don't really enjoy it, but at least I've learned a few lessons that seem to keep me going.



1. If you've never done it, you gotta allow yourself to keep things simple and take your time. Previously, my activities used to involve either having to leave the house (one hurdle too many), or routines that take about 30 minutes (about 20 minutes too long when I "don't have time"). All I've been doing for the past month is a bit of stretching and the Start Up Benchmark exercise on Nike Training Club: 3 sets of 20 star jumps, 15 squats, 10 modified push-ups (on the knees) and 10 lateral/side lunges. I've told myself that all I need to do is the above bare minimum, however it MUST happen every day. On good days I've even increased my reps; on grotty days I let myself take as many breaks as I need - I decided it was better to maintain quality rather than just getting it over and done with. If you simply can't see any pleasure in it, give yourself the easiest option that feels embarrassing to even think of skipping.

2. Make it part of a routine and write it down for extra unavoidability. I developed a bit of a morning routine during a time when I had absolutely no direction for my days, let alone my life - it indeed gave me some sense of achievement each day going through this list, even if it was only as simple as making my bed and doing some tidying (which on most days is putting away the dishes). However I did put "exercise" on there, and it's all written down on a sticky note in my journal which I look at every morning. As basic as it sounds, there were certainly days I conveniently/unintentionally forgot that I was meant to exercise if it wasn't for the sticky note - that combined with the semi-joke of a routine really gives me no choice but to do it... you just know you gotta be better than that.

3. You really learn to listen to your body. It's quite incredible how I now find myself "acknowledging" parts of my body I've never paid attention to before, and pick up on observations that are completely new despite all these weeks of doing the exact same movements. The areas that are still sore after stretching, the joints that keep clicking, how to land in a star jump so you don't muck up your ankle... you also realise immediately if you're a bit under the weather or over-tired, as the exercise could go from relatively light and easy to a real drag overnight. I remember previously, all I ever wanted was to finish the session; I never felt any significant improvement in mood, clarity or energy (let alone cravings for soreness?! Baffles me everytime people say this) to spur the desire to try again either. Now at least I get to marvel at all the different things my body is starting to tell me, and learn how to attend to whatever it needs.

4. The improvements take their sweet-ass time... but they do show themselves eventually. Besides having a slightly easier time going up hills now, things like squats still feel as hard on my legs as day 4. This is why I think it's totally okay not to be too hard on yourself as a complete beginner; if you have crazy expectations of half your love handles disappearing, or slightly more realistically, not hating life after a HIIT session in a month's time, it's just gonna crush you (I haven't tried - this is an educated guess based on my history). It's best not to focus on anything but the fact that you are now doing something for your physical health daily, which is a real achievement if you never did before; by continuing to observe your movements and how you feel, you will eventually pick up on things improving. I do seem a bit more awake these days after exercising, so that's a great start. I'm also happy to report that I've gone from being unable to attempt any form of push-up, to being quite ok at modified ones, to now slowly fighting my way lower with the real ones. One day...

5. Three must really be the magic number. There are so many days when I start my routine and think, can it please stop feeling like I've got bricks hanging off my body? It keeps on going like that until I get to my third set and like a miracle, it's as if someone has come to collect the bricks!? Can an exercise person please explain? Perhaps there is a scientific reason behind it; whatever it is, do try at least three rounds before you retire for the day because mysteriously, it does get better.


If you're also seemingly allergic to exercising and have some tricks up your sleeves, I'd love to hear them (hashtag fitspo) x


No comments:

Post a Comment